Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Picking the "just right" book


At this point we have had many chances to pick out books to read to our children. We know what to look for-- repetative/perdictible text (rhyming is always fun too!), big, beautiful illustrations and characters that your children can connect to. It has to be a story that delves into enough depth, but short enough to keep their interest. And if this wonderful, perfect picture book happens to incorporate a theme that the class is learning about, then you might just have found a book that is acceptable for the day.

But now, oh boy. Now we have to pick a book for the STUDENTS to read! Yikes! This, to me, seems so much more difficult. It's not like a read aloud that you can adapt on the spot to meet the needs of your students. You can't replace big vocabulary words with simple kindergarten words, you can't shorten big chunks of text when students begin to loose interest. When you pick a book for THEM to read it has to be just right. If it's too hard, the student will get fustrated and may begin to shut down. If it's too easy, the assessment is useful and the student will likely become bored with the text. It's a lot of pressure.

I hope that this pressure eases with time and experience. I am sure it's just like any other aspect of teaching. With practice it becomes natural. I just hope that I don't miss judge too many students' capabilities along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I agree this is difficult! Part of the process is to get to know the interests as well as the skills of the student. A book that's slightly too hard but of interest will be a better match than a perfectly leveled book that is BORING to the student. Also, an ultimate goal is to help students learn how to choose their own books so that we are at least in part relieved of this duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very true. My main placement teacher is very good at helping her students know how to pick their own "just right books" using the set curriculum mantra of the "5 finger rule". I can see quite clearly how the students are engaged and eager to be in control of choosing their own reading. Yet, as a teacher I feel I still need to peak over their shoulder to "make sure" they are making the right choices. I don't know if that is something I need to let go of, and I am sure that with time I will begin to feel more comfortable letting the kids make their own mistakes and being their for them to encourage them to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete