Reading in kindergarten was always a bit of a mystery to me. Some kids come in able to breeze through story books, while others are struggling to learn a handful of letters. I feel like the reading achievement gap is most extreme among all students during this first year of school. You have the handful of kids that spent a year or 2 in a highly academic preschool, others who have spent their whole lives in daycares. Some have a stay at home mom or dad who reads with them daily, others spent their early years running through sprinklers rather than reading books. There is not really any way to tell where a student will be at academically either. It's their first year in school-- no records, tips and samples sent up from last year's teacher, and no way to prepare for the new year's class.
When I first walked into my kindergarten classroom in Ballard, I didn't quite realize this spectrum of learning. I assumed everyone read, all at slightly different levels but all able to get by. When one little boy asked me what color he was supposed to color in the number pattern, I instinctly told him to read the directions. He looked at me like I was dumber than a doornail and stated so incredibly matter of a factly, "I can't read!" I had never worked with someone who was in elementary school and incable of reading (either English or their native tongue). So I decided I must focus in on some of my teachers literacy teaching techniques.
I noticed that she often color codes things and draws little sketches next to very simply written instructions. For other things that students don't necessarily need to be able to read, like the daily announcements, she will write them out and read them aloud with her finger tracing over the words. This way, students with some letter and word recognization skills will be able to become familiar with more words. At the same time, students with little or no reading skills are not left in the dark and recieve the same message in addition to word recognization practice (depsite the lack of comprehension).
When she reads stories, she chooses a mix of simple story books and longer, more detailed stories-- some with beautiful illustrations, others with minimal doodles. When she reads simple books, she traces the words with her finger. More difficult books she will often model "good reading" pausing to show the pictures after she reads the page. I think that it is important for her to keep a variety so that kids do not get bored, either for lack of understanding or becuase the material is too easy.
These are simple strategies that are easy to incorporate into any classroom, but I feel like it is necessary to intentially spot them out to ensure that students at all levels of the literacy spectrum are provided with an education fit for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment