Emergent literacy in kindergarten is an very unique experience. This is the only year in elementary where students are not expected to already know how to read. Imagine that-- in just nine months a kindergarten teacher is expected to take a non-reader and transform them into an emergent reader. Pressure? You bet!
I was terrified to even touch the subject of literacy. It is such a vital component to all other aspects of education. Although it's only been two days so far, sitting in the classroom has converted my fear in two big ways. Each lesson is very, very simple and focuses very clearly on one small thing. Yet, my teacher said specifically that it is that very concept that makes teaching literacy so difficult. She explained to me how trying to peice every little skill together can only work if you are constantly thinking about 100 at a time when teaching any literacy.
The Emergent Literacy (Mason) chapter on kindergarten literacy sheds light on how multi-faceted the subject truely is. Although I do approach different books with different ways of reading and interpreting the story, I don't think I would have ever noticed it had it not been pointed out to me. I hadn't thought that my teaching style would and should change according to what type of book I was reading. I very much do enjoy being forced to look at different genres of books, and the 'cheat sheet' charts are incredibley useful.
Spits Spits Spits!
-
I used to say Seattle punk band The Spits never can surprise me because I
expect the unexpected with them. Crazy costumes and crazy live shows are
the no...
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment