Monday, September 14, 2009

First day of school! 9/9/09



I have spent the last 5 days completely terrified of meeting my students. I had this grand expectation of my classroom being stuffed full of 27 students who speak 20 different languages at 27 different educational levels. I was expecting a sneak peak into the hardest classroom to teach within the Seattle School District. I spent the last 2 days trying to learn 27 faceless names from the class list, which neatly categorizes each student by race (wtf, right?).

As the students piled in today, my fears of classroom management worries quickly dissipated. Although the classroom is a crazy mosaic of multicultural-ness (yes, that’s my personal academia lingo), it is totally less scary than I thought it would be. The school intentionally groups students with common languages, but at different levels of English knowledge. The idea is that the Korean/Somali/Hispanic/Ethiopian/etc students will not feel isolated and alone, and at the same time they will also have a built in support group educationally and emotionally.

My kids are all so awesome. We have a couple crazy boys, but not too crazy. We have two new kids that are expectantly quite nervous. There are a couple kids with super hard names to pronounce, and I catch my self avoiding having to say their names. But one thing that I noticed across the board was how quiet and well behaved everyone was in our class, and the entire school for that matter. Every teacher kept asking me, “So, how’s your first day?” I kept responding, “I didn’t expect them to so well behaved.” And every teacher replies the same, “Wait until the second week!” Ha ha, we’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment