Friday, September 18, 2009

Tuesday 9/15


So, I had my first meeting with my field instructor today. He is a silly man—I think we will get along just fine. He reminds me a bit of that old guy sitting at the bar, just dying for someone to sit next to him long enough to share his stories of the good old days—and those guys are some of my favorite experiences of turning 21. He’s a wealth of stories, and he loves to have someone to share them to. But, on top of that, a lot of what he has to say is really meaningful and helpful. It’s a good mix between silly and helpful.

Okay, and then the big moment—my first reading to the entire 2nd grade class, all 90 of them, 180 eyeballs dissecting my every word and every nervous body movement. Okay, okay it really wasn’t that bad. In fact, it was a ton of fun. I picked out my super most favorite book ever, I Stink!, an in-your-face, action packed story about a garbage truck. I used to read this story to my toddlers all the time, both via story-tape and the old fashion way. Although I’m not a big fan of story-tape reading, they are amazing tools when you’ve read too much poetry the night before or if you want to hear how wonderfully animated a story can become.

So, I got really into this story. The kids totally helped me out with all the cool onamonapeas and made me look like the best story-teller in the entire world. All day, the 2nd grade teachers kept coming up to me and complimenting me on my job well done. Yes, I am awesome. Ha ha, it was fun. I feel ridiculous that I made such a big to-do about it yesterday.

I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but my MT also asked me if I wanted to help instruct part of the math lesson for tomorrow. She is cute whenever she asks me to help out. We are both kind of control freaks—She’s trying her best to share her classroom, and I am trying my best to stay inbounds of my role of an observer, a learner. She offered me two choices, “Do you want to help talk them through the mental math or go over the problem of the day?” Both options take about 5 minutes or less of instruction, but I understand, its all about baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment